This course emphasizes the study of American History. The course is presented in two semesters.
Semester 1 discusses the causes, course and effects of the Civil War including reconstruction and industrialization after the war, rapid growth of cities, impact of immigration, rise of national labor unions, and the foreign policy after the war. The progressive era and the jazz age studies capitalism, urbanization and political corruption that examines progressive era reforms, the transformation if the American economy, early social changes, causes of World War I, the course and effect of World War I, and the Roaring Twenties economic and social changes.
Semester 2 examines the causes and effects of the great depression, the first and second New Deal, the background of World War II, the war itself, and the domestic and international effects of World War II. This course discusses postwar changes, the cold war, the Civil Rights Movement, the new frontier, the great society, shifting demographics, domestic politics, and foreign policy initiatives.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
This course is aligned to the National Council for History Standards (NCHS), Florida Sunshine State Standards, and the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills Standards.
Social Studies 2: American History Semester 1
- SOC 201: Pretest - American History
- Causes of the Civil War
- Course and Effects of the Civil War
- Rapid Growth of Cities
- Impact of Immigration
- Rise of National Labor Unions
- Foreign Policy After the Civil War
- Capitalism, Urbanization, and Political Machines
- Progressive Era Reforms
- Transformation of the American Economy
- Early Social Changes
- Causes of World War I
- Course and Effects of World War I
- The Roaring Twenties: Economic Change
- The Roaring Twenties: Social Change
- SOC 201: Test - American History
Social Studies 2: American History Semester 2
- SOC 202: Pretest - American History
- Causes of the Great Depression
- Effects of the Great Depression
- The First New Deal
- The Second New Deal
- Background of World War II
- World War II
- Domestic Effects of World War II
- International Effects of World War II
- Postwar Changes
- The Cold War
- Civil Rights Movement
- The New Frontier
- The Great Society
- Shifting Demographics
- Domestic Politics
- Foreign Policy Initiatives
- SOC 202: Test - American History